August 24 Fall Pictures in your PE classes
26: Modified Day
27: Back to School Night - C. K. Price - 5:45 - 7:30
Back to School Night - North Valley
September 2: Back to School Night - Fairview
7: HOLIDAY - No School
9: Modified Day - K-8 only
16: Modified Day
21: No School - Staff Development Day
23: Modified Day - K-8 only
30: Modified Day
Dear CK Price families,
Welcome to a new school year. As I'm sure you have heard, we have implemented several exciting changes to our school and our schedule this year. We believe that these changes will better support our students' learning AND their connection to our staff and campus. These changes took a lot of time and careful thought in order to implement. Even now we are making small tweaks as we discover problems we did not anticipate. I wish to offer my apologies to you for the delayed communication of these changes, and also my gratitude for your flexibility and cooperation.
These are the changes we have begun:
1. Rotating Schedule: Students will attend 5 of their 7 classes every day. The rotating schedule is included on the back of this letter for your reference. We believe there are three benefits to this schedule: (1) Maximize instructional time. The periods are 60 minutes instead of 46, giving more time to students to understand and practice the lesson objective. Also, there are fewer passing periods and therefore fewer transitions for students during the day. The total yearly minutes of each class remains the same as years past. (2) Students will not always have the same difficult (or easy, or hot, etc) period at the same time every day. (3) The high school has a similar schedule. After practicing with us, students will be well-prepared to continue a rotating schedule when they move to 9th grade.
2. Advisory Period: Every day except Wednesday, students will have a 20 minute Advisory class with the same teacher. This is similar to a "home room" in which all behavior lessons will be taught (see #3 below), documents handed out to go home, and spirit competitions will be counted.
3. Positive Behavior Intervention and Support, or PBIS. Our district has adopted PBIS as a framework for: (1) Clarifying and teaching behavioral expectations of all students, (2) Rewarding students for their positive behavior, and (3) Teaching and enforcing clear consequences for not following the expectations. Please carefully read pages 1-8 of your student's Planner for more information on PBIS.
Please don't hesitate to ask us your questions. We recognize the confusion that often comes with change and wish to clarify anything we can. Looking forward to a fantastic year at CK Price!
Kelly Haight, Principal
Permanent Reminders: Parents, please remember, it is the law that helmets be worn by your students who are riding bikes to and from school.
· Parents, please do not park in the bus loading zone in the front of the school even for a short time loading or unloading students. Please use the parking lot next to the gym.
· Also, if your student takes the bus, please remind them that they need to get to the bus area right after school. They should not be going out to play basketball because they are missing their bus. Remind your student not to wander into the street or into the bus lanes.
· If you plan on leaving for a trip, please notify the office at least 5 days prior to leaving.
· Parents: Please be aware that if you are on the volunteer list and have had fingerprints done, you must fill out a new volunteer request form EVERY school year but you do NOT need to redo fingerprints. Please be sure to fill out the volunteer request form as soon as possible so we can use you as a volunteer on field trips and other school functions this school year. You can get the form at our District Office.
· Parents: Please make sure that your student wears garments that are long enough over their tights, leggings, or nylons. Garments must be no shorter than the fist when arms are hanging straight down.
· Parents: Please be aware that student visitors are not allowed during the school day. The only time student visitors are allowed is with pre-arranged permission (forms to fill out, principal approval) and only during the morning before school starts and during lunch time. Visitors must be the same grade as the student they are visiting.
Please access this website to get information regarding Common Core http://pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=2583